If you are in the blogging business or thinking of entering the blogging business (because it sure as hell is a business trust me), then you are probably wondering how you can take the next step from a hobby to making actual money. These 5 basic steps are pretty simple and straight forward when it comes to monetizing your blog.
5 Easy Steps To Monetize Your Blog
- Adsense/Ads: This is probably the easiest and most used method of monetizing your blog initially. Why? Because it is super simple, and is revenue that kind of just happens without you having to do much. You can sign up for Google Adsense and drop the codes on your site. Google will do the rest and create ads based off what they think your audience will like. You can also sell ads from particular companies or brands that align with your niche. Be aware that this method of monetization works best if you have a steady and heavy stream of traffic. If you don’t you will still make money but it won’t be anything life changing. With Google they have a 100.00 threshold before they release payment, so there have been times when we first started out with them that it would take 2-3 months before we ever got payment.
- Sell a product/ service: Another simple way to monetization is selling a product that you think your audience will connect with and love. This can be tee shirts, books, mugs…etc anything you can easily produce and sell for a quick buck. You can also sell a service. If you know you have a particular set of skills that people would love to use you can start charging for it! For example you can sell advice, do people’s hair, create marketing strategies, be a life coach…etc. The possibilities are endless.
- Affiliate links: Affiliate links are similar to Adsense/ads but they go directly into your post. The most popular affiliate link company is hands down Amazon (though creating an Amazon store may be more profitable). If you are discussing a particular item or event…etc you can add the affiliate link to the post. If a member of your audience clicks it or makes a purchase (depending on the outline of the affiliate link requirements for payment) then you receive a portion/percentage of that price.
- Brand Ambassador: Become a brand ambassador for a brand that you love or have been wanting to work with for a while. In doing so you will receive a particular percentage that will be previously agreed upon. (Always get a contract when signing up for brand ambassador programs). The great thing is brand ambassador programs open the door for you to work with some brands that your really love, and provide opportunities to attend events that the brand may be hosting or sponsoring. Brand Ambassadors also can have affiliate links as apart of their marketing and moneitzation. If you are looking for several brand ambassador programs or affiliate links covered I’ve got you covered here with 35 blogger resources.
- Sponsored Posts: These can be tricky but worth it if done correctly. You don’t want your blog littered with too many of these especially if they do not align with your niche. They can start to feel spammy so a good rule of thumb is to keep your content at a consistent 80/20 ratio. Now once you take part in ambassador programs or join networks you will find your sponsored post opportunities increase. If you are looking for networks to join you can find a good chunk of them here! Sponsored posts take into consideration your social media and traffic when deciding how much to pay you, but you can always negotiate (if it is outside of a network program)! For a great sponsored post rate you should have a media kit ready as well as examples of how you have partnered with other brands in a successful manner!
I hope this was helpful in leading you to further monetization or to get started making money off of your blog. What is your favorite method of monetization? Share your thoughts with us in the comment box below!
IF you loved what you read sign up for our mailing list here and never miss a post. Also get your hands on our free protective styling ebook: Protective Styling Like A Pro Maximum Growth & Length Retention!