FTC: This post is not sponsored. All thoughts and weird opinions are my own. Some links are affiliate links!
It seems like ever since Fenty Beauty came out other make up brands have been bending over backwards and spending those advertising coins to show how diverse their line is. It has indeed become a very “me too” mentality, which trust me… none of us are here for.
But with Fenty’s darker foundations being sold out almost everywhere, you gotta have some back ups in your arsenal. There are a few other mainstream brands I’ve been using for a few years now that not only give me a perfect match but offer more than just two “brown” shades. With all of our varying undertones … we demand respect dammit! And these are the brands the come close/ mostly succeed in giving us the best foundations for women of color.
Best Foundations For Women Of Color
Best Foundations For Women Of Color
1. Maybelline FIT Me: The FIT me foundation offers quite a range of shades from nude beige to Java. They have what I would consider 11 shades for women of color, and are constantly adding new shades to the mix. What I like about the Fit Me foundation is it goes on smooth and really gives you an airbrush finish. My issue/cons with this foundation is the undertones fall a bit flat. The warms are extremely “warm” to the point of giving you a bit of an orange glow, while the cool tones are very grey and flat. They need to work on giving us more undertone variation.
2. Makeup Forever Mat Velvet: I just started using the Make Up Forever Mat Velvet foundation and so far so good. I am a fan, and would closely relate it to the same velvet matte finish as Loreal’s 24 Hour Pro Matte Foundation. I did have to return this foundation twice to get the right shade. This foundation blends out smoothly and really gives you coverage for hours, but again the undertones are the only thing that keeps this line from being perfect. They have 11 different shades of brown with the undertones varying between beige and pink. Both of which worried me. Thankfully shade 80 (cognac) was a 100% go for me.
3. Shea Moisture Weightless Shea Serum Foundation: Shea Moisture aint new to this they true to this. I have this foundation in three different shades (uh.. because I change shades during the year duh). They have 16 shades for the brown skin beauties to choose from. I love how light weight this foundation is, and it truly has a natural finish. My only con is that because it is a natural finish, it doesnt’ leave your face matte. Which if you have oily skin, or go out on a warm day, you may turn into a grease ball and sweat the foundation right off. It also doesn’t hold up too well past the 4-5 hour mark so plan wisely.
4. Loreal 24 Hour Infallible Foundation: I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation. I love it because it matches my skin perfectly and lasts all day. I have issue with my skin color being the darkest shade in the pro-glow/ pro-matte line. I had to recommend it because of how amazing it holds up, but honestly the better bet in finding a shade that compliments your skin and undertones, would be the True Match line. They offer more versatility in terms of shades overall, while also catering to the undertones that often go ignored. I’m patiently waiting for the Pro Glow/ Pro Matte line to follow suit.
5. NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer : This was my first dabble into them makeup world a few years ago and it is a tried and true staple when I simply want to throw something on to give me a stunning glow without weighing my face down with heavy foundation. It is light – medium coverage and does not last much longer than 3-4 hours, but its not supposed to really. It is a tinted moisturizer with SPF 30 so you are really doing wonders for your skin while giving off some subtle glow. Best part about the NARS tinted moisturizer, you get a radiant finish that matches your shade and undertones. Down side, because this is a tinted moisturizer it doesn’t have a vast amount of shade options . NARS does have four shades for the brown skin lovelies with undertones going from neutral, warm, golden caramel and olive. I can’t be too mad at NARS for only having 4 brown shades, when the line itself only carries 13 shades in general.
6. FENTY Beauty : Last but certainly not least is FENTY beauty of course. I couldn’t write a post about foundations for brow skin beauties without mentioning the current KING of foundation on the market. FENTY’s foundations for darker tones are pretty much sold out everywhere, and I imagine the restock is coming in time for the holidays, which will make it super crazy to get your hands on yet again. But if you do, you’ll see that the demi-matte finish is soft and natural. It is your skin but better in a nutshell.
What is your go to foundation brand? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below.