FTC: This post is not sponsored. All thoughts and opinions are my own (and all lippies were purchased with my own coin)
Makeup is expensive! And just when you think you have your staple products, Sephora or Ulta send you a nice quick sale email with all the new products that have been released. (Most of which won’t even be on sale might I add) But… to get to the point… yes makeup is expensive. But it doesn’t ALWAYS have to be.
Now that that point is out of the way… let’s focus on the why? I am all about buying quality products especially those that go on my face. But some mistake quality with cost. If you haven’t heard of a dupe… you’re missing out. Tons of bloggers and vloggers spend tons of time finding dupes for high end expensive products that work similarly. Better price point doesn’t always mean cheap. (sometimes it does… but not ALWAYS)
Case in point NYX has been one of my absolute favorite beauty brands for the last few years and they pride their selves on two things: Quality and Cost. Though I don’t consider NYX the cheapest makeup brand on the market, it is defintely lower mid range. And yes I’m aware that you can find NYX products in some drug stores I don’t fully consider it a drug store brand (strange right).
Well it could be because NYX has its own stores all around the city and does have products that do cost a bit more than drug store and mid range products. But what I love is that their lippies are always priced fairly. They also offer a shit ton of variety when it comes to colors and textures. It honestly does seem like NYX releases a new type of lipstick or new color every few weeks. And I am not mad about that to tell you the truth.
But it can be rather difficult when searching for that perfect NYX lip color when most of the time all you see are swatches on much lighter skin. Before I knew about the blessing that is lip liner, I too fell victim to finding Kylie dupes on Pinterest that looked beyond ashy on my lips when I tried them on. Thankfully now I know better, so I do better. And in doing so I feel that it is absolutely my job to show you the best NYX lipsticks for brown skin! This way you can get your lips and melanin popping at the same damn time!
Best NYX Lipsticks For Brown Girls
1. Cherry Skies Cherry Skies is a deep wine red with definite blue undertone. I love this lippie when I’m going with a stand out lip that isn’t too off the wall. It goes amazing with sun kissed skin so it is definitely a must have for the summer as well. Plus it matches my glasses perfectly and I love moments of serendipity!
2. Soft Matte Lip Cream “Havana”: This lippie is pure purple heaven. I like to think of it as a dupe for “Heroine” from MAC but I know many will disagree and that is fine. This is a pure purple with blue undertones. I love this lip when I’m feeling bold but don’t want to go the classic red route. I was always shy of purples and pinks but this NYX shade helped me step out of my comfort zone.
3. Liquid Suede “Foul Mouth” : This lippie I wear on occasion but when I do it’s always a topic of occasion (which I low key love). Why? Because it is an awkward color in my opinion, but it works lovely on brown skin. This lippie is a navy black shade with light grey undertones (though the container makes it look as if it were going to be a blue/purple shade). I kind of also love it because of the name, and I curse a lot! Seems to fit right in with me.
4. Soft Matte Lip Cream “Amsterdam”: It took a while for this shade to grow on me, but when it did it quickly became a household staple on my quick runs outside that required lipstick for the small slay. NYX classifies this as a “pure red” lippie, but I definitely feel it has some coral/peachy undertones to it. It definitely doesn’t have the blue undertones that Cherry Skies does, or Ruby Woo. This red is more understated and less dramatic but still is a call for attention. This is best worn to the office!
5. Soft Matte Lip Cream “Zurich” I’ve just started falling in love with nude lipstick because of the fabulous invention that is lip liner. I was one of those people with constant “ashy” looking lips when I tried on the nudes that were offered for ladies our melanated complexion. When I would try on darker browns I would feel muted. Oddly enough I fell in love with Zurich when I started accompanying it with my Y2K lip liner (the one I usually use for Trannsylvania). Zurich is a muted rose and is probably one of the rare lip creams that actually looks matte after application. The others usually you have to wait some drying time before you get the matte affect. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this nude and it’s probably my fave, but it definitely requires a darker lip liner to avoid looking like Ashy Larry’s kin!
6. Soft Matte Lip Cream “Prague” : I love love love this color. It’s such the perfect summer color. Not too abrasive but still enough to pop. Prague is a merlot shade and it gives you all that berry fine wine sexy you need to wear to a brunch or day party.
7. Soft Matte Lip Cream “Transylvania“- Uhh who can forget about one of NYX’s most popular colors in the brown skin community. This lip color was everywhere circa 2014-2015. It is considered a deep violet and I would certainly have to agree. Every beauty guru swore by it when you wanted that goth vampy sexy look. I still love Trannsylvania but I do get a bit annoyed at the dry time. This shade (and I don’t know why) probably takes the longest to “dry” to give you that matte look, but when it does OH BABY! You’re in for a sexy treat!
Which NYX lip color is your fave? I’m always up to try some new lip colors especially if the price is right! Cha Ching! Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!