Natural hair doesn’t to be extremely time consuming, extravagant, or expensive. Natural hair care can be basic and still beneficial/effective. Some of the best outcomes my hair has ever had has been when I’ve stuck to the basic ingredients in my kitchen. Which is why I’ve created my favorite list of DIY hair masks that can be used for different hair needs and all ingredients can be found in the comfort of your kitchen.
5 DIY Hair Masks You’ll Love
1. Avocado, Mayonnaise + Honey: Leave this mask on for 15-20 minutes 1-2 times a month on your wash day as a pre-poo or a deep conditioning treatment. This mask will leave your hair sleek, frizz free and moisturized. The tablespoon of mayonnaise is also great for hair that is in need of a mild protein treatment. Make sure you use regular plain mayo for this hair mask and none of the specialty ones.
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 Tablespoon of Plain Mayonnaise
2. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil + Honey: This hair mask is perfect as a moisturizing pre-poo that will help protect and prevent your hair of being stripped of its natural oils after cleansing. This mix is a bit messy as it is liquid based, but it will leave your hair super soft and shiny after it is rinsed out. If your hair is sensitive to coconut oil you can replace coconut oil with a lighter equivalent: Babassu Oil for similar effects.
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey
3. Banana, Apple Cider Vinegar + Yogurt: This mask doesn’t need to be used as often as the others if your hair is protein sensitive or dries easily. The banana is great for re-adding moisture to your hair but must be blended or mashed up very well so you don’t have banana pieces in your hair (make sure you are using a really ripe banana). The Apple cider vinegar (ACV) can be extremely drying but helps control frizziness and lays the cuticle of the hair down. I suggest using this hair mask once every 6-8 weeks depending on your hair type and hair needs.
- 1 small/medium sized ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
4. Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera Juice + Honey: This mask is moisture central! The honey and coconut oil will make your hair feel like butter while the aloe vera juice helps with the cuticle of your hair to prevent frizz as well. Leaving this on for 15-20 minutes once a week will do the trick as a great pre-poo treatment.
2 Tablespoons of Aloe Vera Juice
2 Tablespoons Of Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon of Honey
5. Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Almond Oil + Olive Oil: This mask is thin since it is all oils, however sometimes I throw in a regular rinse out conditioner to thicken it depending on what I am using it for. This works great as a detangling pre-poo and is amazing on the scalp. The thickness of the JBCO provides great coverage and slip. As a deep conditioner this mask works great when warmed up and applied for the best benefits and results.
2 Tablespoons of JBCO
2 Tablespoons of Mint Almond Oil (coupon code: TRESSES)
2 Tablespoons of EVOO
What is your favorite DIY hair mask to treat your tresses? Share your recipes in the comment box below. If you want to give other pre-poo treatments/oils a try here are 10 more oils you can try out for your pre-poo recipes.
If you loved what you read sign up for our mailing list here and never miss a post. Also get your hands on our free protective styling ebook: Protective Styling Like A Pro Maximum Growth & Length Retention.