FTC: This post is not sponsored but does contain affiliate links that provide a small commission. My thoughts and opinions are my own.
I know it sounds extremely counter productive to use mud in your hair, when the last thing you want to do is make your hair dirty. However, there are some serious benefits to adding mud masks into your natural hair regimen that will help your hair thrive and your curls pop. I’ve been fooling around with hair masks for the past year and I have certainly fallen in love with them, and this is why!
5 Reasons Your Natural Hair Needs Mud
1. Helps Detox Your Natural Hair: Clay (when mixed with water turns to mud) is a great detoxifier for your natural hair and your body. It helps to remove toxins and leaves your hair extremely clean. I used to use bentonite clay but my latest clay choice is Rhassoul clay. You can purchase Rhassoul clay on Amazon for about 20.0 bucks a pound. I get really lazy some times when it comes down to my DIY endeavors so I turn to Naturalicious Morrocan Rhassoul 5- in 1 Clay Treatment.
INGREDIENTS: Moroccan Lava Rhassoul Clay, Deionized Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vegetable Glycerin, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Olea europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Vitis Vinfera (Grape) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Phenoxyethanol
2. Cleanses while conditioning: A Mud treatment for your natural hair not only helps to cleanse or detox your hair it also provides conditioning to the hair as well.
3. Helps balance pH of your hair: Our hair does best when it has a pH of around 4.5. Using a clay/mud rinse to cleans your hair will help with keeping that hair at a balanced pH. Especially when matched with an Apple Cider Vinegar or Aloe Vera rinse.
4. Gentle Exfoliant: Mud is an amazing gentle exfoliant that will help remove buildup from the scalp and improve the health of your scalp as well. In doing so your hair will growth in better healthier shape and make it much easier to retain the length you are achieving.
5. Softens and moisturizes: Specific clays like Rhassoul clay help to soften and moisturize the hair which leads to curls being out and popping in full force. Why? Because of the mineral rich content and significant amounts of magnesium (also found in many hair vitamins) Rhassoul clay improves elasticity while reducing dryness. That is the main key in having a bomb wash and go or curls that truly take their own shape. If your hair is thirsty it won’t clump together to form those beautiful curls.
You want to make sure when you are choosing your clay to add to your hair regimen that you keep in mind exactly what your hair needs. If you need tons of detoxification and absorption I recommend bentonite clay as a start. If you need extra moisture or struggle with dry hair, Rhassoul clay is going to be your new bae.