Natural hair gets made fun of consistenly for using food straight out of the kitchen as a part of their hair care regimen… and this post will add to the jokes… but you can’t fight what works! In today’s kitchen ransacking we’re talking the good almighty Avocado. We know the benefits of this “fruit” in our diets but some may turn their noses in the air at the thought of putting it into your hair. But before you push it to the side, put it in your salads, or turn it into guacamole take a look at what are the potential benefits of avocado for your natural hair.
1. Revitalizes Scalp: The amino acids and protein present in avocado (mashed up avocado or avocado oil) will penetrate your scalp, in order to improve the overall condition of your scalp. It will help your scalp stay nourished and assist in healing or alleviating any issues or conditions you may have.
2. Helps treat/ prevent frizziness: The nutrients that are present in avocado help to tame dry, frizzy, brittle or damaged hair. Using avocado as a regular weekly prepoo before your shampoo or cleansing process will help alleviate your frizz over time and leave you with a sleeker look post wash.
3. Excellent Hair Mask to increase moisture and shine: Avocado is very high in fat ( the good kind) which keeps your hair less dry (more moisture) which means less chance or opportunity for breakage. Avocado is also rich in many other nutrients that provide optimal growing grounds for your hair in a healthy state. By leaving the avocado mask on you are replenishing any weak spots that may have been caused during a traumatic hair experience (blow drying, flat ironing, twists, braids…etc). The natural humectant properties are what make avocado so fabulous so that when moisture is added it is locked in as well.
4. Dandruff Treatment : Some parts of the avocado (the seed) are ground up into a powder that is key in stopping dandruff dead in its tracks.
5. Prevents Hair loss & promotes growth: Because Avocado is dense in Vitamin B (a major player in the hair growth department) and Vitamin E, Avocados contribute to faster healthier hair growth while protecting and strengthening your hair from a deeper cellular level (remember Avocado oil is one of the few oils that can penetrate the shaft of your hair. To find out what other oils can do so click here!). We usually experience hair loss because of a lack or deficiency of certain vitamins but the presence of avocado helps to cure that issue most of the time.
6. Can double as a prepoo treatment and deep conditioner: I love a product (or ingredient I should say in this case) that does more than one job. This one fruit can work as both your prepoo treatment or deep conditioner. I tend to use the actual avocado for my prepoo and mix it with other oils such as Castor Oil, Coconut oil or EVOO. For my deep conditioner I make an even bigger concoction using avocado oil instead (also to avoid repeating some of the mess avocado can cause). Double the moisture added in using avocado consistently in my hair regimen.
I’ve been using avocado as a part of my natural hair care regimen since I started my transition back in 2012. I used an actual avocado as a pre-poo treatment with various other oils and honey/may (depending on my hair’s needs). When I chose to use avocado in other forms (that were a little less messy than using the actual avocado) one of my top 10 prepoo oil treatments consisted of avocado oil in its purest state. You can find pure avocado oil in your local health food store, Whole foods, some beauty supply stores ( be careful not to buy one that is mixed with other ingredients) and of course Amazon.
The best part of having natural hair product options is that brands also start to take note of what we’re doing in the kitchen and create super human amazing products. My favorite store bought product that consists of organic avocado oil as one of its initial first ingredients is the Mielle Organics Moisturizing Avocado Hair Milk. (coupon code: TRESSES for a discount at checkout) which offers a light yet effective moisturized session for my tresses.
If you loved what you read sign up for our mailing list here and never miss a post. Also get your hands on our free protective styling ebook: Protective Styling Like A Pro Maximum Growth & Length Retention.
Happy New Year!!! For 2017 I promise to try (I…
FTC: This post is not sponsored. All thoughts and opinions are my…
FTC: This post is not sponsored, however does contain some affiliate…
Your email address will not be published.