The natural hair game has evolved greatly over the years but there are a few things that always remain constant staples. And one of those things is the idea of the co washer vs. the shampooer. Now… if you use shampoo it doesn’t mean you can’t hop on board the co wash train every now and then. And just because you are an avid co washer doesn’t mean you can’t dabble in the shampoo game from time to time. I think what I’ve realized the most lately in the natural hair world is that you can do whatever you want, whatever benefits your hair, and whatever works for you.
The key to finding the right keys to success (thank you Dj Khaled) is to safely experiment, and compare all the facts. That’s what this post aims to do for you today. Give you the 411 on the benefits of co- washing natural hair so that you can decide if it works for you. There are of course pros and cons to everything and we’ve mapped those out for you here!
While I am an avid co washer I do use the poo every now and then. The key to really co washing well is choosing a co wash that cleanses and moisturizes at the same time to get those added benefits all in one wash day session. But I’ll stop babbling… and get right to the nitty gritty of why you came here. Is co washing really for you? Does it contain enough benefits for you to toss your shampoo to the side? Let’s find out!
Benefits Of Co-Washing Natural Hair
1. Moisturizes: Co washing your hair adds an extra layer of moisture into the mix during your wash day. Shampoo tends to strip the hair of its moisture as it is cleansing your strands. That is why it is so important to use a pre-poo if you are going to be shampooing your hair (even if your shampoo is sulfate free). I find that the more I co wash the more cooperative my natural hair becomes.
2. Helps Alleviate Dandruff: Co washing is a much gentler cleansing process therefore is less irritating and drying on the scalp. Dandruff is often caused by several different reasons, and while co-washing can’t alleviate them all (5 Ways To Get Rid Of Dandruff For Good) it is certainly a step I highly recommend if you are starting out on the journey to figuring out how to stop that itchy scalp/ dandruff issue.
3. Decreases shedding/breakage: Everything isn’t for everybody! We’ve heard this term coined often and that is the same with shampooing or co-washing. Co washing however because it is moisturizing and gentle it helps to decrease the amount of shedding and breakage you are having that may be due to overly dry hair.
4. Decreases single strand knots/ tangling: This is one of my favorite reasons/benefits of co washing natural hair. I hate single strand knots and tangled hair. Thankfully in my natural hair journey (it’s been four years already… WOW) I haven’t had too many issues with single strand knots, but detangling is a whole other beast on the menu. Using a co wash with great slip will help cut down your detangle time/ and difficulty as well as decrease the appearance of those pesky single strand knots that every naturalista despises. For other methods on getting rid of single strand knots you can check out our dedicated post here!
5. Better curl definition: Besides getting rid of dandruff and decreasing detangle time (as if those benefits weren’t remarkable enough) co washing will definitely make those curls pop. And right in time for summer too! The more you co wash the more definition your curls will have because of the presence of that oh so important factor in your natural hair care regimen: MOISTURE! You cant have definition without moisture PERIOD and co washing will add just the right amount to make your wash and go be as fleeky as you want it to be!
Are you a shampooer, co washer, or a mix of both? Share your experience co washing with us below. You can also follow our dedicated Natural Hair Pinterest board below for more tips, tricks and DIY!