I’ve been eyeing Jojoba oil as a new oil I’d be adding into my hair care regimen. I’ve heard great things from naturalistas so I decide it would be time for to pick some up. I recently picked up Jojoba Oil from my local Trader Joes and added it to my arsenal of oils. I’m giving Coconut Oil a break while I get my protein overloaded hair situation under control. I’ve been loving almond oil (Mielle Organic’s Mint Almond Oil is my absolute favorite) but I needed a change. So it seemed like now more than ever was the time to go for the jojoba oil (it’s pricy… so I was putting it off for a while).
So while I dabble in my new found love for Jojoba Oil (very new found its only been a few days) I thought I’d share the benefits of using this oil on our natural hair.
5 Benefits Of Jojoba Oil On Your Natural Hair
- Balances Oil Production: Jojoba oil is the only oil that most closely mimics the natural oil from our scalps. Therefore when added to our scalps it does not disrupt or alter the pH. It brings our scalp back to a healthy balance.
- Adds A Healthy Shine: Besides balancing the pH in your scalp, Jojoba Oil is capable of conditioning (not on its own you should add it to your favorite conditioner) and it will hell in adding elasticity and natural shine to your tresses. Also a great oil to help add volume and create illusions of thickness to hair that is thin or fine. (I say illusion because you can not genetically change the thickness of your hair strands).
- Stimulates hair growth: Jojoba oil on its own, or when mixed with other essential and carrier oils can help stimulate growth when massaged into the scalp on a consistent basis (2-3 times a week for 5-7 minutes). Since jojoba oil is very light and non greasy if you so choose you could massage your scalp daily with it (I just often forget/don’t have the time to do so).
- Antibacterial Properties: Jojoba oil is really the KING oil if you have several issues with your scalp. As an effective scalp cleanser jojoba oil also has antibacterial properties that will help with dandruff, itching, psoriasis, dryness…etc. It will soothe your scalp if applied consistently, and goes on lightly.
- Strengthens Hair: Jojoba oil is molecularly small enough to penetrate the hair shaft and strengthen it from the inside. Made from 98% monounsaturated fats it strengthens the hair follicles and fibers internally. Besides strengthening, Jooba Oil’s moisturizing properties hydrate your hair internally as well. This means it is able to reduce hygral fatigue which can lead to breakage/damage.
Though I do find Jojoba oil to be a bit pricy (which is probably why other oils are a bit more popular/frequenlty used) I am excited to be giving this oil a try and cant wait to see its results on my hair. Have you tried Jojoba oil before? If so how did you use it and did you enjoy the results? Share your thoughts with us below!
If you loved what you read sign up for our mailing list here and never miss a post. Also get your hands on our free protective styling ebook: Protective Styling Like A Pro Maximum Growth & Length Retention.