If you are a follower of the curly girl method it can be rather difficult sometimes to gather products that fit ingredient restrictions. We’ve covered the details of the curly girl method in great detail here but there’s nothing wrong with a brief overview/recap of what your Curly girl approved products should or shouldn’t consist of
So with so many products possessing silicones, alcohols and petroleum we decided to put together an easy go to list of the 20 best curly girl friendly styling gels you can use to help style your hair & lay those edges while still holding following the method appropriately. Some can be found in your local drug store, or beauty supply store. While some are going to require an online purchase from the site or from Amazon. I offer options that vary in ingredients from the most natural to a bit more composed. But most important theres a gel on the list for everyone ranging from 4 dollars to 25 dollars. Always shop within your budget!! Without further ado here are the 20 best curly girl friendly styling gels!
1. Aubrey Organics Hair Design Gel B5 All-Natural: ($11.00) I haven’t seen this product in many drug stores, mostly beauty supply stores. Your best bet is to buy this gel online.
2. As I Am Smoothing Gel: ($8.00) Can be found in your local drug stores and beauty supply stores as well as online.
3. Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (16.00) This can be found in most Targets, from Camille Rose Naturals online or from Amazon (most expensive on Amazon).
4. Curls Goddess Glaze Curl Gel (12.00) You can find this product in most drug stores for a bit cheaper while also skipping the shipping fees or you can order online from Curls or Amazon.
5.Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel(19.00) You can find this product at Ulta, Devachaun salons or from Amazon. I find that through Amazon you get it at a bit of a discount compared to the other two locations. Though don’t hold your breath for too long because DevaCurl is one of the lines I stated earlier that is most likely to break the bank!
6. Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care Natural Styling Gel,(9.00) I love Giovanni leave in conditioner so I was happy that their gel was also curly girl friendly! Prices vary on this gel based on the size you get, but for the most part it is between 4-9 dollars in various drug stores. Amazon also caries this gel… but only seem to sell it in packages. Definitely try it out first before you buy large amounts of it.
7. Jane Carter Natural Hold Spray Gel:(9.00) You can find this gel in spray format in most drug stores or beauty supply stores. You can also buy it from Jane Carter Solution online or from Amazon.
8. Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel (17.00) Also on the pricy side this gel can be found online from Jessicurl or Amazon at a bit of a higher price. I haven’t spotted it in any beauty supply stores or drug stores in my local area.
9. Kinky-Curly Curly Custard (17.00): This can be found in most local drug stores, beauty supply stores, Targets and online from both Amazon and the Kinky Curly site. It is so much more money on Amazon so I suggest shopping around locally to see if you can get it in person.
10. Oyin Handmade Shine & Define(14.00) : If you are lucky you can find Oyin products in Target on occasion but my go to best bet when looking for Oyin products is online either from their site or from Amazon.
11. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Souffle Gel (13.00): This can be found everywhere! Ulta, Target, local beauty supply and most drug stores! This is a go to product for many naturalistas especially transitioners. Because of that the price has increased a bit but it is still not as pricy as many other gels out on the market.
12. SheScentit Macadamia Fixing Gel (12.00) I love love their leave in conditioner and it smells like heaven as does this gel. Unfortuatnely it can only be ordered/bought online from their website.
13. Uncle Funky’s Curly Magic Curl Stimulator (25.00) Definitely not cheap and can only be found online at their site or Amazon.
14. Aussie Instant Freeze (4.00) This little miracle in a bottle can be found anywhere and will certainly not break the bank! This is definitely a great buy when your fave go to gel has run out and it can also be a staple product.
16. Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera Gel (12.00) Can be found at health food stores (sometimes a bit pricier depending on the size) or can be bought online as well.
17. Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel (Has Protein): Can be found at just about every beauty supply store and local drug store. Prices vary but it is a fairly cheap gel (Usually 3-7 dollars depending on the size you get)
18. Carma Care Dream Curls: ($15. 00)
19. Hydratherma Botanical Definition: (15.99)
20. Wondercurl Get Set Hair Jelly (15.00)
There you have it! Our top 20 list of the best curly girl friendly styling gels ranging rom 4-25 bucks to fit your hair care needs!
If you loved what you read sign up for our mailing list here and never miss a post. Also get your hands on our free protective styling e-book: Protective Styling Like A Pro Maximize Growth & Length Retention.
We all know that what is good for one person’s…
This year flew by and it wouldn’t be right to…
Where did you grow up? I was born in Haiti…
Your email address will not be published.