In 2016 I’m focusing more on hair health than growing my hair as fast as possible. With that being said I wouldn’t mind having a few more really defined looks and styles especially now with my tapered cut. This brings me to my top 10 list (of course you can tell I’m an admitted product junkie) of favorite curl defining products for natural hair. I’ve personally tried all of these products and enjoy them in no particular order. The ingredients go well with my hair and often provide me with fleeky outcomes in the hair styling department. Take a look to see if your favorite hair styler made it onto the list. And if it didn’t share with us in the comments below which brand you think should be added!
10 Best Curl Defining Products For Natural Hair
1. TGIN Twist & Define Cream: You know that product that you get because it is getting rave reviews and you are not really fond of it. That was my initial reaction to TGIN’s Twist & Define Cream. I was super smitten with their Daily Butter moisturizing lotion that I didn’t pay much attention to the twist & define cream. Fast forward to over 7 months later and this cream is now apart of my can’t do with out holy grail. The twist outs are bomb and so are the ingredients!
2. Kinky Curly Curling Custard: Between this and the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie (see # 8) you probably have heard nothing but rave reviews about the Kinky Curly Coiling Custard. I also had bad experiences with this product and didn’t quite enjoy its amazingness until I recently big chopped again. This is definitely not a product for the transition, but instead a perfect match for a wash and go or sleeked back look.
3. Design Essentials Cream Gel: This was the fist gel I used when I had my tapered hair cut back in September. This is the gel they used on my hair at the salon (you know you are always trying to match that fly from the salon) so I went out and bout it for my twist outs at home. This gel is thick so a little goes a long way and I recommend pairing it with another butter to maximum on definition. This also pairs well with aloe vera gel too.
4. Curls Berry Bliss Curl: I always wanted to try a Curls product but always shied away when ever I saw the price. Luckily I was able to receive this Berry Bliss Curl at an event back in September and instantly fell in love. This is marketed more as an edge control but it definitely has the power t work along side another styler to help define your curls. I use for both my edge control and as an added layer/shield in my twist outs.
5. As I Am Coil Defining Jelly: I have a long time love with As I Am from the moment I used their Coconut Co Wash. When I started dabbling into their other products I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were not a one trick pony. The Coil Defining Jelly is thick and will have your twists looking juice and plump all day. Plus this can be found in all local drug stores so that is an automatic plus for me when looking for hair products on the go.
6. Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream: This was my first product as a transitioning natural and it helped me stick through some real failure moments in my natural hair journey. This cream smells delicious and because it is so decadently rich and thick a little goes an extremely long way. I’ve had this product for up to almost 6 months at a time (and its also inexpensive ) even when I use it 1-2 times a week.
7. Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker: I ran out to get the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker when it first came out last year because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I am rarely impressed by a product that gets a ton of positive reviews because I always feel like its not possible. Well in this case… it is. The Curl Maker is very similar to the Shea Moisture curl souffle in texture but with a stronger hold for my type four naturalistas. You will get a light application with a great amount of definition. Also great for my ladies who like to dabble in wash and gos every now and then.
8. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie: After I used the Cantu cream I saw tis curl enhancing smoothie all over Youtube and had to see it for myself. Also readily available just about everywhere you go (drug stores, Walgreens, Ulta…etc) this product is great for type four hair as well. If you use too much you will get an icky residue after so I suggest you start off light handed first to see how much of it your hair really needs. You also want to use a light oil or gel in accompaniment to this product as well.
9. Beautiful Textures Curl Defining Mousse: I only use the Beautiful Textures Curl Defining Mouuse for roller sets or perm rod sets so I can get that smooth bouncy curl. You can also use it for wash and gos (which I have yet to fully master or understand). The pump lets off a frothy foam liquid that goes on to your hair light and clear so adding too much won’t weigh down your hair (though I don’t recommend doing so, so you don’t waste the product).
10. Hydratherma Aloe Curl Enhancing Twisting Cream: Last but certainly not least is the Hydratherma Aloe Curl enhancing Twisting Cream. This is one of the newer products released from the Hydratherma brand and I’ve yet to be disappointed by anything that Saleemah releases. Aloe and my hair are in love so a curl defining cream based with aloe is an absolute plus in making my curls springy and full. This is in my top five arsenal product line up for sure!
What products do you have in your arsenal that you just cant live without? Share your thoughts with us below so we can update our lists !
FTC: This post is not sponsored however does contain affiliate links that provide me with a small commission. My thoughts and opinions are my own.