FTC: I’ve partnered up with Nubian Heritage to bring you the amazingness that is World Coconut Day. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It’s officially September which means we’ll be transitioning from our summer sun kissed routines and regimens into straight up fall mode. And while most get excited for pumpkin spiced everything… I on the other hand focus more on the amazingness that is the Coconut.
Nubian Heritage has always kept their finger on the pulse of what is beneficial to our skin without breaking our bank. Besides their bomb African Black Soap collection, they’ve also blessed us with the Coconut & Papaya collection. But why… why would they add another collection of skin care to their brand and why using these two ingredients?
Papaya brightens and hydrates the skin while helping to keep aging far far away. Who doesn’t love that? And we all know that Coconut oil is a naturalistas best friend. But the entire coconut has so much more to offer than just oil. In celebration and honor of world coconut day, we’re breaking down the benefits of coconut on your day to day life. Whether you’re using it in oil form or not, the coconut is a key player to a healthy overall lifestyle.
Celebrate The Benefits Of Coconut On World Coconut Day
1. Helps keep skin healthy: Okay okay… we’ve heard this all before right? Coconut oil can be used to benefit our hair and our skin. But why exactly? Let’s talk about it. Coconut oil offers protection against the sun (doesn’t replace sunscreen though…) therefore will help keep your skin looking youthful. This means coconut oil is actively helping you fight against the presence of wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots. Any fruit that prevents me from aging gets an A in my book.
So what do I do to incorporate coconut into my skin care regimen? Okay… well first things first do NOT put coconut oil on your face. I know you’re thinking.. but all those benefits? Yes… but do you use your face cream on your legs? Do you use your body lotion on your face? It’s the same exact concept.
Instead I use coconut oil on my body as my alternative to store bought lotions/creams. In the shower I use Nubian Heritage Coconut and Papaya Body wash. It is a gentle cleanser so I don’t have to worry about it drying out my skin, and besides feeling squeaky clean I always feel soft and moisturized post shower.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Glycol Stearate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Glycerin (Vegetable), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*♥, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya Fruit Extract), Panthenol, Tocopherol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Caprylyl Glycol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid *Certified Organic Ingredient. ♥Fair Trade Ingredient
2. Helps Burn Fat: I’m a realist… so I say this to you with the utmost honesty possible. Sitting down and eating a jar of coconut oil is not going to make you skinny. However… the MCTs in coconuts (Medium Chain Triglycerides) burn more fat/ calories in your body compared to other types of fats. So add to the fact of eating right/ fairly clean (who can eat clean forever… not me) coconut gives you that extra boost to lose that extra pound or two. Coconut oil also reduces your hunger therefore helping you to eat less if you so choose.
3. Fatty Acids with Medicinal Purposes: Besides keeping your skin on fleek the coconut is filled with tons of fatty acids. These fatty acids are metabolized in our bodies differently therefore can be of assistance towards issues in your digestive tract, or brain disorders.
4. Moisturizing & Protecting: This is why naturalistas love coconut oil. The coconut is in an essence here to protect and serve. Coconut oil moisturizes our hair as it is one of the few oils that is capable of penetrating the shaft of the hair. It also offers protection against future damage. By improving the moisture of your hair and skin you can look forward to a healthy head of hair, and bomb glowy skin.
Especially as we go into the Fall months… having beautiful glowy skin can be a bit more difficult. There’s less sun out, more work and way more clothes on. The Nubian Heritage Coconut & Papaya body scrub is my go to savior for all of that. Exfoliating with the miracle fruit that is coconut leaves my skin feeling smooth and looking BOMB! With the help of this scrub I can keep my summer glow for a few more months (Shh.. that’ll be our secret).
5. Antibacterial: Coconut oil not only tackles fungal infections that attack our skin (think ringworm) it is also antibacterial. Your skin is the largest organ you’ve got and its important to take care of it. By adding coconut to your skin care regimen you’re providing more than just a fighting chance. You’re providing protection against pathogens and reducing the risk of different bacterial infections that really worsen pre existing acne conditions. The lauric acid present in the coconut as well as the fatty acids help to moisturize and deeply cleanse our skin.
Whenever I can’t carry my jar of coconut oil around, I grab my Nubian Heritage body lotion. They’ve also got a hand cream as well for easier travel purposes. The body lotion is thick enough to be moisturizing without being greasy. And the smell… can we talk about how heavenly the smell is without being too in your face or overwhelming.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Glyceryl Stearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*♥, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin (Vegetable), Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Glyceryl Caprylate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Allantoin, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Tricholoma Matsutake (Songi Mushroom) Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa (Roselle) Flower Extract, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract *Certified Organic Ingredient. ♥Fair Trade Ingredient
There ya have it! One of my fave fruits is celebrating their day today! World Coconut Day honestly… should be every day since we use it so much in every day lives. How are you incorporating coconut into your daily routine? Share with us in the comment section below!
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.