FTC: This post is not sponsored but does contain some affiliate links. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
A little frizz never hurt anyone but… too much frizz can ruin the style or look you’re going for. Sometimes there really isn’t anything we can do when mother nature decides to frizz up our slay. But more often than not frizzy hair is often caused by a misstep in our hair regimen. It’s not a total loss… because we know with natural hair it just takes practice and a little effort.
What I do know is… natural hair has taught me it is not about the price tag. So don’t think because you are having issues with frizzy hair that you need to go run out and buy the next miracle anti frizz hair product on the shelf. Wrong! You can tackle your current bird’s nest situation with any of these 4 DIY home remedies for frizzy hair. Your hair and pockets will thank you later.
5 DIY Home Remedies For Frizzy Hair
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse: Apple cider vinegar (mix equal parts water and equal parts vinegar) will help smooth out the hair cuticles that cause frizziness to occur, while also clarifying your scalp. I love a good 2 for 1 deal. Besides helping to alleviate the frizz, ACV will also help bring life/shine back into your dull looking tresses. If you’re not a fan of the smell (I’ve gotten used to it… but it can be a bit much at first) add in a few drops of your fave essential oil to help mask the scent.
2. Avocado & Olive Oil Treatment: This has been my staple DIY hair treatment for years because it works. The vitamin E present in Avocado and the moisturizing penetrating effects of olive oil will get rid of the frizz in no time. You’e gong to need one ripe small/medium sized avocado (depending on how much hair you have) and 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil. You’e going to mix both ingredients (by hand or using a mixer) until you get a nice paste like consistency. Apply to your hair and leave on for 15-20 minutes and VOILA. You’re on your way to healthier, shinier moisturized hair without the frizz. I use this treatment as a pre-poo or deep conditioner depending on the needs of my hair.
3. Raw Egg & Olive Oil: If it is protein your hair is lacking then this DIY remedy is for you. Crack open a raw egg (heads up: it will be a messy remedy) add in two tablespoons of olive oil and apply to your strands. Unlike other treatments, this one absolutely CAN NOT be heated/warmed up because you will essentially be cooking the egg… and no one wants that.
4. Coconut Oil or Coconut Milk: If you are looking for a lighter protein opt in stead for a coconut oil or coconut mil DIY home remedy. Add in two tablespoons of coconut oil to thicken up the coconut oil. Warm it up a bit (not too much as you don’t want the milk to burn) and apply to your hair. Leave on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing out.
5. Bananas + Olive Oil & Honey: If you need an extra kick in the frizzy area this DIY home remedy is going to be your best friend. Bananas are filled with potassium and other vitamins. Mix that in with honey and olive oil and you’ve got a winning match. You need one small to medium sized banana (depending on the amount of hair you have), 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey. Best part is you can warm this DIY home remedy up and use as a deep conditioner too! Make sure to really mash/mix this DIY remedy up well because you’ll definitely have banana chunks left over after you rinse. Look to achieve a smoothie like texture.
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.