FTC: This post is not sponsored but does contain some affiliate links. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Being a naturalista doesn’t require tons of product and work. I’ve only come to realize this after four years of being natural (go figure…). Going back to the basics of natural hair care has set my natural hair on the right course. If you don’t know what I’m talking about you can catch up on my natural hair highs and lows below!
Quick recap I have fine low porosity hair, which means most of the time I’m dealing with dry hair issues. Dry hair pretty much was kicking my @$$ and destroying all of my natural hair progress. So I stopped using every natural hair product under the sun and went back to what I knew would work. Because I’ve been making natural hair strides, I have to share the ingredients that have been helping in that process and just how easy it is for you to get your hands on them too.
8 Oils Every Curly Girl Needs
1. Olive Oil: This is my absolute favorite oil to use right now. Olive Oil has really helped to turn my natural hair life around. It’s not only one of the few true moisturizing oils, it also penetrates the shaft of the hair and contains anti inflammatory properties. This helps promote scalp health and prevent dandruff.
2. Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil mimics our natural oils in our hair so it is no wonder that it is a part of our 8 must have oils every curly girl needs. It is extremely light and won’t weigh down the hair which is easily done on fine low porosity hair.
3. Almond Oil: Almond oil has been BAE for quite some time. Sweet almond oil is the key to beautiful healthy hair. Almond oil is filled with magnesium which is a benefit to our hair, skin and so much more. (Top 5 Benefits Of Almond Oil). Besides sweet almond oil I’ve been dabbling in Mint Almond Oil from Mielle Organics for the past two years (You can use code TRESSES for a discount at checkout) in various aspects of my hair care regimen, and it always leaves me pleased with the results.
4. Grapeseed Oil: Grapeseed oil is the oil us naturalistas run to when we need some protection from the heat. With tons of amino acids this light oil works well as a sealant and possesses Vitamin E as well. So you are definitely getting some more bang for your buck.
5. Avocado Oil: I’ve been using avocado oil on and off for a year, and right now it’s absolutely ON! I’m also using avocado in my deep conditioner so with the fatty acids in avocado oil and the immense moisturizing properties my hair is in heaven. Avocado oil is second in my arsenal (behind olive oil) because this oil also is able to penetrate the shaft and moisturize my strands from within. PS… this oil is a key player in prompting growth in your natural hair.
6. Castor Oil: Whether you choose to use castor oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil you can’t go wrong. This thick oil is one of the oils that naturalistas stand by and with good reason. Castor oil is a sealing oil, and is also great for massaging the scalp. Castor oil is used to promote hair growth because it stimulates the hair follicles. Less breakage, more growth… it’s no wonder you want to have this bad boy in your arsenal at all times.
7. Vitamin E: Vitamin E which can be found in many of the oils listed above, is best to massage the scalp. It is a light oil so great for low porosity hair, while still being effective in promoting hair growth. It increases blood flow and oxygen levels to the scalp. And you know what that means. Happy scalp means happy hair growth and retention.
8. Babassu Oil: Babassu oil is the new coconut oil in my hair care regimen. My hair doesn’t love coconut oil, and I know that sounds blasphemous. However not every naturalists’s holy grail includes coconut oil and I am one of them. Instead I rely more so on babassu oil since it reaps the same benefits.
Did your favorite oil make the list? If not are you thinking of trying out one of suggestions.? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below. For more natural hair love, tips, tricks and DIY head over to our dedicated Pinterest board below!
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.