FTC: This post is not sponsored. It does however contain a few affiliate links. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Essential oils are an absolute god send to the natural hair community because there is such a large variety of them that are good for so many hair needs. However before we get into all the good that essential oils can do for our natural tresses, it is important to discuss the potential damage they can do if not used properly.
While essential oils are absolutely great when used accordingly, they are extremely potent and should never never ever be used directly on your scalp, skin or hair. Instead it is best to mix the essential oil of your choosing with a carrier oil, or dilute it with water. If you don’t know which are carrier oils and which are essential oils… you already know I’ve got you covered. Here’s a simple break down on what the differences are between the two types of oils.
Essential oils can be used to strengthen your hair, and a plus is they usually smell magnificent so work very well as an added fragrance to your DIY concoctions. With all of the benefits of essential oils it’s hard to not want to include a few in your hair care routine. The key to using essential oils, is listening to what your hair wants. This is how you pick the best oil or oils for your regimen.
10 Best Essential Oils For Healthy Hair Growth
1. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is one of my fave oils for several reasons. I don’t use it on my hair too much but I use it as a part of my skin care regimen quite frequently. However when used in your hair care routine, tea tree oil unblocks sebaceous glands and stimulates blood flow on the scalp thus promoting growth. Besides that it is also a key player in helping to remove dead skin cells and eliminate dandruff.
2. Lavender Oil: Lavender oil smell so amazing, and is absolutely relaxing. Besides getting a fantastic massage with lavender oil (remember to dilute) you can also use it in your hair care routine. Lavender helps to prevent itchiness and dandruff while increasing the number of hair follicles. Thus making your hair thicker and stronger in the process.
3. Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil smells absolutely delicious. My favorite is my Mielle Organics Mint Almond oil which brings together two amazing oils and is a treat for my scalp every time. You can get your hands on this oil using code TRESSES at a discount FYI. Besides smiling amazing peppermint oil is also known to increase thickness and rejuvenate hair growth particularly when mixed with Jojoba oil. While promoting hair growth you get a fresh tingly sensation which is absolutely refreshing.
4. Rosemary Oil: Rosemary oil smells amazing as do most essential oils so I guess that goes with out saying. However Rosemary oil works best for treating dandruff causing issues such as dry scalp. Besides assisting with dry scalp, it also helps stimulate blood flow and growth.
5. Lemon Oil: Lemon oil gives off that amazing lemon smell while helping to remove excess oil from your hair. So if you have dry hair, lemon oil is definitely not for you. This oil also helps with dandruff issues as well. I recommend using lemon oil only if you have excessively oily hair.
6. Lemongrass Oil: I’m a fan of all things lemongrass. I drink lemongrass tea, one of my favorite leave in conditioners is lemongrass based (Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave In Conditioner) and that is for a very good reason. Lemongrass has antiviral and anti fungal properties. This means your scalp will be in good hands with lemongrass and pesky dandruff or scalp issues caused by psoriasis and eczema don’t stand a chance.
7. Chamomile Oil: The same reasons we love chamomile tea are very similar to why we love chamomile oil. Roman Chamomile oil is soothing oil and is known for its calming effect on the nerves. It soothes scalp and hair as well. This oil is best for dry as well as brittle hair and it is also extremely beneficial for eliminating lice.
8. Cedarwood Oil: I didn’t know about cedar wood oil until I started venturing into my health food stores. It was everywhere. Then when I went into my beauty supply store I found it there too. Go figure! Cedarwood oil stimulates hair follicles which then stimulates hair growth!! It also increases circulation. Cedarwood oil also helps to prevent hair thinning which is why I got onto it asap to help with my nape and edge area. Think of cedarwood oil as the castor oil of the essential oil world.
9. Ylang Ylang Oil : Another oil I was initially unfamiliar with is Ylang Ylang oil. Ylang Ylang is a popular hair growth remedy in Europe, so why not use it over here. I will say that the fragrance is very powerful so I would mix this with 1-2 other essential oils as well as my carrier oil just because I don’t like extremely strong scented products on my hair or skin.
10. Vetiver Oil: Last but certainly not least is Vetiver oil. I initially heard of vetiver when I was shopping for organic soaps and ran into the Nubian Heritage Haitian Vetiver soap. After looking into what vetiver was I learned it was bomb. Similar to Peppermint oil, vetiver has a cooling sensation and helps prevent hair loss. It also has strong antioxidant properties as well that prevent premature hair loss due to damage.
Which essential oils are you already using and which are you thinking of giving a try? I want to use all of them all of the time… but oils in general are often a bit pricy so I choose my top 3 and rotate them around. You can also follow more natural hair love on our dedicated Pinterest board below!
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.