It is vacation season and protective styling season. I’ll be heading off on vacation in less than a week and I still haven’t decided what to do with my hair. I know that it will definitely be going into a protective style, but which one… I don’t know. So in being completely unprepared as per usual, I started thinking about the protective styles I’ve worn or that my friends have worn in the past on vacations. And this my loves… is how this list/post came to be.
In curating the best protective styles for vacation I’ve listed them in no particular order, but I do go into detail about which style is best for the type of vacation you’re taking.
Best Protective Styles For Vacation
1. Box Braids: Box Braids are the easiest style to rock when on vacation. It’s easy to maintain, extremely low maintenance and you have full access to your scalp. That is always key when protective styling for me because I can then oil and keep my scalp moisturized with ease.
2. Faux Locs: Faux Locs are bomb when you are want a bit of an exotic look that is still low maintenance. I fully recommend faux locs when going to a beach get away. The installation of faux locs can take a bit longer than box braids, so that is something you need to take into consideration when preparing for installation. They usually cost a bit more when you professionally get them done as well.
3. Twists: Whether you want to do Sengelase twists, Marley/ Havana twists, or mini twists, twists are a key player in the protective style category. You can install them yourself with ease and they are easily taken down, and retwisted to refresh the look.
4. Corn Rows / Ghana Braids: This style was super trendy last summer and is still holding on this summer as a cute protective styling option. This style is affordable, and done rather quickly whether you do it yourself or get it professionally done. What I love about this style is it can be accessorized to make it look your own and fit your personality. Downside… this style usually doesn’t last longer than 2-3 weeks.
5. Sew In Weave: Sew in weaves are great for vacations that won’t include too much water so you don’t ruin the style. If you have a natural looking sew in weave make sure you either have a closure or that your natural hair easily mimics the texture of the sew in hair with little to no manipulation needed. Sew ins can be costly depending on the hair you choose to get and who/how you get it installed. So this look… I would save for a vacation that has a very special occasion attached to it.
6. Crochet Braids: You can get just about any style when doing crochet braids. The versatility in installing crochet braids for vacation makes it my absolute fave. You can achieve a sew in look, twists, faux locs or box braids using the crochet braiding method.
Let me know your fave protective styles for your vacations below to help me make my final decision before I head out!
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.