If you are a follower of the curly girl method it can be rather difficult sometimes to gather products that fit ingredient restrictions. We’ve covered the details of the curly girl method in great detail here but there’s nothing wrong with a brief overview/recap of what your Curly girl approved products should or shouldn’t consist of
Curl Girl Method Basics
- No Heat, combs, or use of shampoo
- Conditioners must be free of: silicones, petroleum products, or sulfates
- Leave ins and gels must be free of: sulfates, silicones, alcohols, petroleum, mineral oil or anything that derives from mineral oil
So with so many products possessing silicones, alcohols and petroleum we decided to put together an easy go to list of the 20 best curly girl friendly styling gels you can use to help style your hair & lay those edges while still holding following the method appropriately. Some can be found in your local drug store, or beauty supply store. While some are going to require an online purchase from the site or from Amazon. I offer options that vary in ingredients from the most natural to a bit more composed. But most important theres a gel on the list for everyone ranging from 4 dollars to 25 dollars. Always shop within your budget!! Without further ado here are the 20 best curly girl friendly styling gels!
20 Best Curly Girl Friendly Styling Gels
1. Aubrey Organics Hair Design Gel B5 All-Natural: ($11.00) I haven’t seen this product in many drug stores, mostly beauty supply stores. Your best bet is to buy this gel online.
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Organic Aloe Vera, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Organic Gum Arabic, Tragacanth Gum, Organic Rosa Mosqueta Rose Hip Seed Oil, Inositol, Sulfur-Containing Amino Acids-Cysteine, Para-Aminobenzoic Acid (PABA), Horse Chestnut Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Horsetail Extract, Nettle Extract, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Biotin, Organic Orange Oil, Sulfur-Containing Amino Acids-Methionine, Organic Balsam Oil, Aubrey’s Preservative: (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E)
2. As I Am Smoothing Gel: ($8.00) Can be found in your local drug stores and beauty supply stores as well as online.
Ingredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root¹, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice ¹, Glycerin¹, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein², Laureth-23, Potassium Sorbate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene.
Source: 1-Natural; 2-Wheat Derived
Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis(aloe vera gel), deionized water, macadamia integrifolia (macadamia) seed oil, persea(avocado) gratissima seed oil, simmondsia (jojoba) chinensis seed oil, prunus (sweet almond) dulcis oil, ricinus (castor) communis seed oil, behenetrimonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol(BTMS), camellia (green tea) sinensis, ulmus (slippery elm) eulva, ascorbic (vitamin C) acid, tocopherol (vitamin e), d-panthenol, phenoxyethanol/caprylyl glycol(optiphen), sorbic acid, scent.
Ingredients: Water, Sorbitol, Polyacrylate-14, Polyacrylate-14, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20, Fruit Certified Organic Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Carbomer, Certified Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Aminomethyl Propanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, DMDM Hydantoin.
5.Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel(19.00) You can find this product at Ulta, Devachaun salons or from Amazon. I find that through Amazon you get it at a bit of a discount compared to the other two locations. Though don’t hold your breath for too long because DevaCurl is one of the lines I stated earlier that is most likely to break the bank!
Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (Parfum)
6. Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care Natural Styling Gel,(9.00) I love Giovanni leave in conditioner so I was happy that their gel was also curly girl friendly! Prices vary on this gel based on the size you get, but for the most part it is between 4-9 dollars in various drug stores. Amazon also caries this gel… but only seem to sell it in packages. Definitely try it out first before you buy large amounts of it.
Ingredients: Aqua (Purifed) Water, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch (Butela Alba) Leaf Oil, Chamomilla (Anthemis Nobilis) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Protein, PVP/VA Copolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid (Corn), Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived), Methylparaben, Propylparaben
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), PVP/VA Copolymer, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Extract, Fragrance, Phenoxethanol.
8. Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel (17.00) Also on the pricy side this gel can be found online from Jessicurl or Amazon at a bit of a higher price. I haven’t spotted it in any beauty supply stores or drug stores in my local area.
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Polyquaternium-69, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-11, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Alcohol
9. Kinky-Curly Curly Custard (17.00): This can be found in most local drug stores, beauty supply stores, Targets and online from both Amazon and the Kinky Curly site. It is so much more money on Amazon so I suggest shopping around locally to see if you can get it in person.
Ingredients: botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance
10. Oyin Handmade Shine & Define(14.00) : If you are lucky you can find Oyin products in Target on occasion but my go to best bet when looking for Oyin products is online either from their site or from Amazon.
Ingredients: water, linum usitatissimum (flax) seeds (organic), aloe barbadensis leaf juice (organic), sea vegetable complex, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, unrefined butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) fruit, raw honey, vegetable glycerin, stearic acid (from palm), emulsifying wax NF (vegetable derived), fruit pectin, xanthan gum, dextrose, phenoxyethanol (and) caprylyl glycol (preservative), citrus limonum (lemon) peel oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil; fragrance.
11. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Souffle Gel (13.00): This can be found everywhere! Ulta, Target, local beauty supply and most drug stores! This is a go to product for many naturalistas especially transitioners. Because of that the price has increased a bit but it is still not as pricy as many other gels out on the market.
Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract, Pectin, Vegetable Glycerin, Adansonia Digitata Pulp(Baobab) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E – Vegetable Oil Source), Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed/Flax) Seed Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Proprietary Essential Oil Blend *Certified Organic Ingredient
12. SheScentit Macadamia Fixing Gel (12.00) I love love their leave in conditioner and it smells like heaven as does this gel. Unfortuatnely it can only be ordered/bought online from their website.
Ingredients: Aloe Barbensis leaf juice, Acrylates, Macadamia nut oil, Shea Nut oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Vegetable Glycerine, MSM, Panthenol vit B5, Phenoxyethanol, fragrance.
13. Uncle Funky’s Curly Magic Curl Stimulator (25.00) Definitely not cheap and can only be found online at their site or Amazon.
Ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow, Chamomile, Nettle & Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate & Natural Fragrance *All Natural or Naturally Derived
14. Aussie Instant Freeze (4.00) This little miracle in a bottle can be found anywhere and will certainly not break the bank! This is definitely a great buy when your fave go to gel has run out and it can also be a staple product.
Ingredients: WATER, LAURETH-23, POLYQUATERNIUM-4, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, ACRYLATES/BEHENETH-25 METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, AMINOMETHYL PROPANOL, DMDM HYDANTOIN, FRAGRANCE, PRUNUS SEROTINA (WILD CHERRY) BARK EXTRACT, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, DISODIUM EDTA.
Ingredients: Water, PVP, Laureth 23, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Crassula Argentea Leaf Extract, Fragrance, VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer, Triisopropanolamine, Carbomer, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA
16. Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera Gel (12.00) Can be found at health food stores (sometimes a bit pricier depending on the size) or can be bought online as well.
Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Citric acid, carrageenan, and potassium sorbate
17. Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel (Has Protein): Can be found at just about every beauty supply store and local drug store. Prices vary but it is a fairly cheap gel (Usually 3-7 dollars depending on the size you get)
Ingredients: WATER (AQUA) , carbomer , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , PVP , glycerin , triethanolamine , Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate , polysorbate 20 , Tetrasodium Edta , Olive Oil , fragrance , Blue #1 , Yellow #11
18. Carma Care Dream Curls: ($15. 00)
Ingredients: Distilled water, linseed extract, marshmallow root, carbomer, rosemary oil, olive oil, vitamin E oil, potassium sorbate, tetrasodium EDTA, benzylalcohol-DHA, fragrance
19. Hydratherma Botanical Definition: (15.99)
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), PVP, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate-20, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract, Geranium Maculatum Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Quercus Alba Bark Extract, Hamamellis Virginana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Rosa Canina Seed Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Citronellol, Limonene, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 40, Orange 4
Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Polyquaternium 7, dl-Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel), Phenoxyethanol, Vegetable Glycerin, Alcohol denatured, Carbomer, TEA, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Fragrance
There you have it! Our top 20 list of the best curly girl friendly styling gels ranging rom 4-25 bucks to fit your hair care needs!
Some affiliate links appear in this post but in no way hinder or create false feedback for the products mentioned above.
If you loved what you read sign up for our mailing list here and never miss a post. Also get your hands on our free protective styling e-book: Protective Styling Like A Pro Maximize Growth & Length Retention.
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.