Updated: May 7th, 2017
The further and further I get into my natural hair the more I look beyond what I simply am able to find in my local beauty supply stores or large chains. I’ve been making a direct personal choice to research and use products owned by women for women. Supporting small business has always been a particular goal of mine, because I often feel that they have better intentions and are working towards my best interest. Now this may not always be the case but in comparison to the big businesses out to make a buck I’d rather pay an extra buck here and there to support companies that are out to support me. That is what led me to dig a bit deeper and go beyond just small business support but to support women owned, and operated companies that are serving the natural hair community because they too are natural. Why take advice from someone who doesn’t know my plight or struggle? Most of these women have either been natural all of their lives, transitioned, or did the big chop (some more than once). They understand what is needed to make a product that promotes healthy hair. While getting free stuff is always a fun perk/plus to blogging I make it a point to actually support the brands that I truly enjoy far beyond when the sample is finished, or the initial review is written. So I’ve compiled a list of companies/brands that I have actually used, support, enjoy and are all owned by strong powerful women! If you haven’t heard about them you may want to look further into them/ give them a try.
7 Female Owned Natural Hair Companies You Should Look Into
1. TGIN: TGIN (Thank God I’m Natural) is owned and was created by Chris-Tia Donaldson. She is personally one of my all time faves in the natural hair sphere because she is one of our real life super heroes. At quick glance her resume speaks for itself as a Harvard graduate/ lawyer, CEO and breast cancer survivor there is nothing she can’t accomplish. And to add to it… TGIN products are pretty bomb! They have been a regular part of my hair care regimen for the last two years because they are magical. It is easy to stand behind a brand with morals, ethics, and great strength. Not to mention these products smell amazing and work like a charm. They can be found in Sally’s, Target, Amazon and CVS.
2. WonderCurl WonderCurl is owned by Scarlett Rocourt whom I’ve had the pleasure of actually meeting (at the TNT End Of Summer Bash) in person and to be honest that made all the difference in me giving her products a shot and loving it. Her genuine desire to create a product that works for varying textures shines through when she speaks about how she got the idea to start up Wonder Curl. Wonder Curl products were created to bring out your natural pattern andy help fight off that frizz that humidity and hands just seem to cause more and more of. My fave product from her line is the Get Set Hair Jelly that I use to refresh my twist outs on days 3-4 in between wash days. And… I personally just love following along Scarlett’s journey with her own hair (and she keeps me on my toes when it comes to my healthy eating habits)
3.HydraTherma Naturals- Saleemah Cartwright is the founder and co owner of HydraTherma Naturals, a brand/line that has a little something for everyone. Not only is she dedicated to her brand but she’s also an avid DIY Youtuber that is inspiring me to hop on the faux locs wagon. Hydratherma has got to be one of my all time favorite lines right now. There is a particular focus in balancing moisture and protein which I have a hard time doing and I am grateful that this line helps lower my guess and check during wash days. I’ve dabbled with quite a few different products in the line but my all time favorites are the Daily Moisturizing Growth lotion that I use for my twist outs, and the protein balancing leave in conditioner which for some reason has a fragrance I can’t put my finger on but I love!
4. Alikay Naturals– Alikay Naturals owner Rochelle Campbell is doing phenomenal things this year with her releasing of Alikay Naturals in even more Targets across the country. Its amazing to see hard work pay off and have our small businesses created for us being represented on such a large scale. Rochelle also has been expanding the brand into more than just hair care diving into skin care and beautifully scented candles. Rochelle did a hair seminar in NYC this summer in which she spent the bulk of time walking new naturals through a productive regimen building conversation. Alikay Naturals is a full line to help new naturals and old naturals just alike build a simple regimen based strongly in the LOC method. I personally love the Lemongrass leave in conditioner which is the first product I ever tried from this brand over two years ago, and still continue to have it as a staple part of my regimen. You can find Alikay Naturals on the shelves of Sally’s, Target, CVS, and more!
5. Camille Rose Naturals– Janell Stephens takes the term Mompreneur and runs with it! As a full time time mother of five she is also the full time owner of Camille Rose Naturals that has most recently launched their new formula for the Curl Maker that is making a huge splash right now in the natural hair community. They also can be found in Target stores across the country. I haven’t tried the Curl Maker as of yet but I’m excited to get my hands on it. I do however have a big time affair with their Moisture Milk which will run you about 15 bucks on their website.
6. The Mane Choice: The founder and CEO Courtney Adeleye created the Mane Choice for two reasons… to beautify while improving health. And I not only the concept of this but that with every product release that mission stays intact. The Mane choice products work magic on my hair consistently and can be found in Walmart, Target, CVS, and Amazon. Besides being a RN and her husband a medical doctor, Courtney is a philanthropist and serves as a major major major source if inspiration to always keep striving, working and pushing forward.
7.Mielle Organics– Monique Rodriguez took the natural hair community by storm in 2014 and hasn’t stopped ever since. This line is one of my absolute favorite brands in the market and they continue to create amazing new products. My personal faves are the Mint Almond Oil and White Peony Leave In conditioner but I haven’t tried a product in this line that I didn’t like. What I love about Mielle Organics a well is that the CEO is constantly in front of the camera showing us how she uses her own products to achieve that beautiful healthy head of hair and tests all products on herself first. That is dedication and trust which makes Mielle Organics a staple in my lineup.
Have you had any experience with these lines or other small women operated businesses in the natural hair community?
You May Also Like
Hey there! I’m Melissa, co-founder of Trials n Tresses, natural hair and beauty lover, binge tv watcher and lover of life. When I am not creating content for TNT, I’m busy teaching the future of society.